The Banyan House circa 1926
History of Banyan House
The Banyan House was built in 1926 for Robert & Dorothy Marvin. Mr. Marvin
was an engineer who managed Venice Real Estate Company for the Brotherhood
of Locomotive Engineers (BLE) that started Venice. The Marvins were friends of
Thomas Edison and in 1928 Mr. Edison gave them the Banyan Tree.
After the 1929
market crash the house was vacant until Virginia Greenway Wilson purchased it in
1935. She rented rooms and in 1936 she started using the name Banyan House. She
was a school teacher and ran a nursery school called "Venice Country Day School".
The house had the original swimming pool from 1926 and for a long time the only pool
in Venice - her students learned to swim in it. During World War 11 she rented rooms
to servicemen stationed at Venice Army Air Force Base which is now Venice Municipal
In 1960 Margaret Thomas purchased the house from Mrs. Wilson and established a shark's tooth and fossil museum in the downstairs of the house.
Mrs. Thomas wrote books on fossils that are still sold in town on Venice Ave.
Chuck & Susan bought the home in 1986 and it has undergone a lot of restoration. In December 1989 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in the Venezia Park Historic District.
519 South Harbor Drive
Located in Venice Florida...
Pre-historic Shark's Tooth
Capital of the World